As a friendly reminder, if you run an facebook bottle giveaway, there are some things you MUST include, and also NOT allowed to ask users to do.
If you are looking to run a competition to promote your goods or services in Australia, it is called a “Trade Promotion” and there are 2 types:
1.Game of Skill – where people are asked to either “write in 25 words or less” (very traditional) or (more modern) “show us your favourite emoji/gif” or “upload a photo of xyz”.
2.Game of Chance – where winners are selected at random.
As at August 2020 you DO NOT need a permit to run a GAME OF SKILL or a GAME OF CHANCE with a total prize value of under $3,000 in Australia, however you must abide by the following:
- It must be free to enter (or the cost to purchase a good/service – buy this and get free entry into the competition)
- You must clearly state the start and end date of the competition
- You must explain how you will announce/notify the winner
But do check with your STATE requirements.
Facebook Competition Rules
- You CANNOT ask people to “tag your friends in this post to enter”
- You CANNOT ask people to “share on their timeline to enter”
- You CANNOT ask people to “share on your friends timelines to get additional entries”
- You CAN ask people to like your page
- You CAN ask people to comment on your post (photo, gif, emoji or text based answers)
- You CAN ask people to message your business page
State that Facebook has nothing to do with this competition using the wording (as provided by Facebook): “This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook”
Say when you competition starts and ends by DATE and TIME.
Mention open to 18+ only.
Mention where prize will be shipped to, (ie: Prize will including shipping to an Australian address).