- Virtual Asta Morris Tasting with Founder Bert Bruyneel
- Hosted by The Elysian
- What Whisky Scotch Whisky Single Malt Whisky Astra Morris The Elysian Virtual Events secondary-feature Events Whisky Events
- When 17 June 2020 from 07:00 PM to 08:00 PM (Australia/Sydney / UTC1000)
- Where Online
- Web Visit external website
- Add event to calendar iCal
We are honoured and privileged to be hosting Mr Bert Bruyneel all the way from Belgium for our next virtual tasting. We will of course be tasting through the Asta Morris whiskies and Rasta Morris rum that he himself has chosen, and imported into Australia through our sister company, Select Spirits.
Bert Bruyneel is the founder of Asta Morris, an independent bottler in Belgium. Although Bert is a passionate whisky lover for over 20 years, he started his career as the fifth generation in his family business in the meat processing industry.
After his very first drink, which was a Jack Daniels single barrel back in 1994, lightning struck. Bert’s interest in whisky grew day by day and, alongside his family business, he founded the Wee Dram Whisky Society in Belgium in 1999. His dedication to whisky was widely recognized and becoming a Malt Maniac was a natural fit.
In 2009, with encouragement from friends, Bert founded Asta Morris. Bert’s initial contribution was in the form of articles for various whisky magazines and hosting tastings and masterclasses. During the second year, Asta Morris presented its first bottling, a Glenlivet 1977/2010, followed by an official bottling of Benriach 1978 and 1975 ‘for Asta Morris’. In this series a 1977, 1979 and 1983 would follow, thanks to an old personal friendship with Billy Walker.
On this path to becoming an independent bottler Bert had to say goodbye to the Malt Maniacs, and the rest is history. Apart from bottling amazing casks of whiskies, Bert has also created a gin to be drunk neat, called "No Ordinary Gin", and has also started bottling rums under his Rasta Morris label.
Asta Morris like Bert, is all about fun and quality. Every label has a funny frog sitting on the top, and on the background there are various pictures of animals' eye (ask Bert why, he might or might not tell you why).
On tasting will be 6 x 15ml samples of:
- Asta Morris Glen Moray 1989/2019 29yo Cask # AM128 Bourbon Cask, 53.2% (Whiskyfun 90 pts)
- Asta Morris BenRiach 2008/2018 10yo Cask #AM122 Foursquare Rum Finish, 52%
- Asta Morris Glenburgie 2008/2018 10yo Cask #AM106 Caroni Rum Finish, 52%
- Asta Morris Secret Speyside (Glenrothes) 1990/2019 28yo Cask #AM136, 40.1% (Whiskyfun 91 pts)
- Rasta Morris Uitvlugt Rum 1991/2018 26yo Cask #RM004, 58.8% (Closed in 2000)
- Asta Morris Caol Ila 2011/2019 8yo Cask #AM057 Sherry Cask, 55.9% (Whiskyfun 88 pts)
Tasting will be done via Zoom
- When: Wednesday, 17th of June
- Time: 7pm - 8.30pm (AEST)
- Price: $100 per person (for 6 x 15ml samples)
- There is a delivery fee of $8 when you checkout.
For Melbourne customers who can pickup from the bar, please click on "Pick up" when checking out. If you cannot make it during this time, please choose to have your pack delivered.
* Interstate customers are more than welcome to join too. The postal service we are using currently has a turnaround time of 5 working days.
Join us online on the day if you can, but otherwise if you just want to purchase a tasting set for yourself to enjoy at your leisure or as a gift for someone else, be our guest too !