Last weekend the TWL team got to hang out and help judge Meatstock Sydney!
18,000 attendees appeared over the two day long event, the fourth annual Meatstock festival that sees barbecue teams fire up their grills to cook, barbecue and grill the best brisket, lamb, pork, pork ribs and chicken.
Buffalo Trace Bourbon hosted Australia’s Biggest Spit Pit by partnering with the award-winning barbecue competition team ‘The Flamin’ Mongrels’, cooking a 300kg giant beast basted in Buffalo Trace bourbon and slow cooked over a huge custom spit roast rig, powered by a Holden Ute.
Another huge drawcard for the sold out festival was appearances by chef Tom Jackson and Celebrity pitmaster and barbecue king Big Moe Cason, star of American reality television series BBQ Pitmasters and BBQ Pit Wars. Coming all the way from Kentucky USA, Big Moe was on hand to share his passion for meat, barbecue and sauces.
In addition to the Spit Pit created by major sponsor Buffalo Trace, attendees were treated to various eateries at this Bovine & Swine, Burn City Smokers, La Boca, and Black Barrel BBQ. The Meatstock staple gruelling “Barbecue Wars” and “Butcher Wars” occurred again with 49 teams battling it out for the title of A&E Barbecue Wars Champion.
BIG MOE CASON’S BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON BBQ SAUCE
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- ¾ cup of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients, except the Buffalo Trace bourbon, in a sauce pan. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add Buffalo Trace bourbon and stir. Cool to room temperature before placing in refrigerator until ready to baste the meat.