Whisky* can be an expensive habit. Although it is hard to beat buying a full bottle of love** for yourself, and whisky clubs and bottle splits are a thing too, sometimes it's nice to venture out in search of destinations that professionally serve and supply our favourite juice.
Whether it's for the atmosphere, the killer cocktails (whisky or otherwise(!?!?)), the change of scenery or the access to drams not currently on pour at home, the following venues could be just what the doctor ordered - although likely NOT your hepatologist - remember, always drink responsibly.
This list is by no means exhaustive, or 100% accurate necessarily, but more of a handy resource to help us (and hopefully some of you) find a place to settle in for a nice relaxing pour of whisky. We will update this list and the information on each venue as and when more information becomes available. We would love to hear from any venues or people like you who patronise them about your experiences, good, bad or otherwise. Cheers!
*Whisky/Whiskey as appropriate / *Love also = Whisky/Whiskey
For any that we've missed, drop us a line at email@example.com and we'll get it added.
Perth - CBD
- Alabama Song Bar | Alabama Song is a little bit honky-tonk and a whole lotta country. Specialising in whiskey and bourbon, you’re guaranteed to have a rockin’ good time once you enter through the bat swing doors at Alabama.
- Bar Lafayette | Map | Bar Lafeytte is an artisan cocktail bar in the Perth CBD. Offering a diverse wine list and boutique beers, we have a civilised food menu to compliment our cocktail creations. Located on the ground floor of the beautifully restored Perth Technical School at Brookfield Place, Bar Lafayette caters for all occasions and boasts many intimate spaces to relax and unwind.
- Bobeche | Map | Cast your imagination to a period of wry wit and mischief where you are enveloped with the impression of being somewhere dark and mysterious. This carnival style bar offers old world spirit on spirit cocktails, tap beer and fine wine.
- Goody Two's | Goody Two’s is inspired by the refined and cheeky underbelly of the Japanese ‘after work’ culture of going out for skewers and a whisky. Both experiences have been recreated in the heart of the Perth CBD.
- Halford Bar | Map | Located in the basement Safe Room of the 1897 Titles Building, Halford is a contemporary take on the great 1950s late night lounge bar, when conversation was king and elegant decadence met the modern world.
- Helvetica | Helvetica has a range of over 500 different whiskies including some of their own bottlings with great beer, wine, and cocktails to compliment. There are regular tastings hosted at the bar by the incredibly knowledgeable staff to help educate guests, introduce people to new, interesting whiskies and share rare and incredible drams with as many as possible.
- Joe's Juice Joint | Off the laneway and down the stairs is the rock ‘n roll den that is Joe’s Juice Joint. With everything you want from your classic dive bar – fried chicken, cheese burgers, pinball, a serious backbar, a cracking beer selection and a classic rock playlist – come early and leave late.
- Mechanics Institute | Map | Mechanics’ Institutes were places of learning established in the 1800′s to provide adult education to working men. As the original public libraries, they provided an alternative “third place” to gambling halls and pubs. In this spirit Mechanics’ Institute Bar in Northbridge was established in August 2012. Nestled amongst the heritage rooftops of Northbridge in Perth, Western Australia, we offer an escape from the everyday below.
- Old Faithful | Old Faithful Bar & BBQ specialises in American Style BBQ, with an emphasis on low and slow cooking, craft beer and and amazing whisk(e)y collection
- Tiny's | Map | The drinks menu offers craft beer, seasonal cocktails and small batch wines, while Tiny’s Liquor Emporium will serve over 300 wines and a range of spirits.
- Varnish on King | Tucked in the basement of a heritage building right in the heart of Perth’s CBD, is Varnish on King - paying homage to American Whiskey and home to Perth’s most extensive showcase of bourbons, ryes, Canadian and Tennessee whiskey.
Perth - Mosman Park
- Samson's Paddock | Samson’s Paddock is a bar and restaurant situated in Mosman Park. Work on the most recent incarnation began in 2014, but the site has a history of being a favourite watering hole for local people since Lionel Samson first purchased the land back in 1831. These days, instead of a row of resting horses tied up outside and Mad Rob ready to pour you the only tipple in town, you’ll find a huge selection of craft beers, wines, and spirits from all over the world – and a growing menu created from locally sourced ingredients that continues to excite taste buds from all over Perth, and beyond.