Whisky* can be an expensive habit. Although it is hard to beat buying a full bottle of love** for yourself, and whisky clubs and bottle splits are a thing too, sometimes it's nice to venture out in search of destinations that professionally serve and supply our favourite juice.
Whether it's for the atmosphere, the killer cocktails (whisky or otherwise(!?!?)), the change of scenery or the access to drams not currently on pour at home, the following venues could be just what the doctor ordered - although likely NOT your hepatologist - remember, always drink responsibly.
This list is by no means exhaustive, or 100% accurate necessarily, but more of a handy resource to help us (and hopefully some of you) find a place to settle in for a nice relaxing pour of whisky. We will update this list and the information on each venue as and when more information becomes available. We would love to hear from any venues or people like you who patronise them about your experiences, good, bad or otherwise. Cheers!
*Whisky/Whiskey as appropriate / *Love also = Whisky/Whiskey
For any that we've missed, drop us a line at email@example.com and we'll get it added.
- 1806 | 1806 is Melbourne’s most unique, full service, cocktail & whisk(e)y bar. Combining “prohibition-era” decor, and quirky, insightful staff, with a repertoire of classic cocktails to please everyone from the casual patron to the connoisseur, 1806 is an experience like no other.
- Beneath Driver Lane | Map | Melbournes' basement laneway blues bar - descend into another world of blues, cocktails, French bar food and global wine till 3am every night.
- Blue Diamond | Perched 15 floors up and sky-high Blue Diamond is Melbourne’s premier penthouse live entertainment cocktail and cigar lounge. With meandering balcony and terrace spaces you can take in the breathtaking panoramic views with your favourite tipple. Adorned with plush art deco-inspired decor you can be excused for mistaking Blue Diamond for a 1920s Manhattan speakeasy.
- Boilermaker House | Map | Boilermaker House is a blues filled temple devoted to malt whisky, craft beer and delicious cocktails.
- Collins Quarter | Since 2007, Collins Quarter has seamlessly entwined business and pleasure from breakfast until well after dark. Our perfect mix of purpose-built rooms, intimate nooks and open spaces offer a variety of settings for almost every occasion.
- Eau De Vie | Map | A bar straight out of 1920’s prohibition America, from the moment you walk in you are taken back to a much forgotten era. Once inside you can sit up at the bar, at one of our shared high tables, our low banquette and coffee table seating, or a more intimate and private booth.
- Hihou | Map | Older brother to Izakaya Den and nephew of Kappo. Hihou is an exclusive destination for Japanese food, sake and cocktails.
- Lui Bar | Map | Lui bar is the epitome of class and charisma. Whether you seek an intimate Tête-à-tête on our chaise lounge clusters or an elegant bar-side celebration, every seat enjoys spectacular views over Melbourne. Boasting an extensive wine, Champagne, beer and spirit collection, plus a tempting snack menu, Lui bar is ideal for a casual pre or post-dinner tipple or for a dedicated evening of fun and frivolity.
- Mjolner | Map | Mjølner is a place where sophistication and opulence meet historic Viking features and contemporary Scandinavian design across two expansive levels. Boasting an 80-seat restaurant complete with exquisite private dining rooms on the first floor and a fully seated basement speakeasy bar below. Mjølner is created in Thor’s image and delivers an unique and indulgent dining experience, offering guests escapism and the enjoyment of fine food and world class beverage.
- The Toff in Town | Map | The bar and kitchen play host to your dinner and supper until 3am weekdays and 5am on the weekends.
- The Whisky Boutique | The Whisky Boutique itself is a bespoke space designed to encourage experiencing whisky from all over the world. From sampling to buying and taking home, The Whisky Boutique has you covered. From some of the most famous single malts to the more obscure small-batch brands, everything is available to buy.
- Whisky & Alement | Map | Our ever-changing menu of over 1000 whiskies features everything from the classics to independent bottlings, right through to some of the rarest whiskies in the world. Pair that with tasty cocktails and a rotating list of amazing local and international craft beers, and our friendly, cosy bar has you covered.
- Whisky Den | Map | Outstanding range of whiskies and a cozy atmosphere
- Biff Tannin's | Map | Biff Tannin’s has an extensive and exciting whisky list with a focus on unique and uncommon whiskies from all over the world. We also have a large selection of renowned and popular whiskies. With over 250+ whiskies you’ll be sure to find something you love!
- Woolshed | Map | Boutique beers, stunning wines, whisk(e)ys, rums, bourbons, vodkas, tequilas, gins, cognacs, ports, a vast range of classic and house cocktails, the list just goes on, there’s something for everyone!
- Bad Frankie | Map | Bad Frankie showcases the range of boutique Australian spirits from across the country and complements these spirits with the iconic Jaffle.
- Black Pearl | Nestled deep within the heart of Fitzroy, Black Pearl is Australia’s most awarded bar, receiving both local and international acclaim.
- The Elysian | Map | The Elysian Whisky Bar is a small and cosy whisky and cocktail bar located on the lower end of Brunswick Street in Fitzroy. About 350 bottles of rare and interesting whiskies on the shelves, with a focus on Independent Bottlings from around the world. Playing jazz and old classics most nights, do drop by to enjoy a relaxing night with some great drinks.
- The Everleigh | Since launching in 2011, The Everleigh has grown from strength to strength with recognition across Australia, recently taking out national Cocktail Bar of the Year at Australian Bartender Magazine’s annual Bar Awards 2018, and internationally where they received a nomination at the Spirited Awards for Best International Cocktail Bar.
- Glamorama Bar | Map
- The Kodiak Club | Map | Melbourne's only Bourbon Bar was created by a tight circle of friends, the Kodiak is based on the small neighbourhood joints that define America's bar culture. We serve modern, regional American bar food, amazing American Whiskeys, boutique beers and classic cocktails in a friendly, inviting atmosphere.
- The Noble Experiment | Map | A venue with simple, great tasting food, delicious cocktails and a relaxed environment.
- Mr. West House of Hops & Fine Drops | A one-stop shop in the heart of Melbourne’s West for all things crafty, artisanal & obscure
- The Kilburn | Map | The Kilburn Cocktail and Whisky Lounge has always been about fine cocktails, fine whisky and good times.
- Buck Mulligan's | Map | Buck Mulligan's is a specialty Irish Whiskey Bar and Bookshop. Come in and browse our books, or grab a drink or a snack from our main bar. Our cosy snug is perfect for whiskey tastings and book groups and our courtyard is a lovely leafy spot to while away the day (or night).
- The Tipsy Cow Malt & Vine Co. | Map | The Tipsy Cow is a den for grown-ups. A place for everyone to gather, and leave behind the stresses of ‘real’ life at the door. Where you can hang out with your friends, your family, or by yourself.
- Eureka 89 | Fine food & wine with breathtaking floor to ceiling views across metropolitan Melbourne, Eureka 89 is the city’s most impressive events and dining venue.
- Zhou Zhou Bar & Lounge | Map | Zhou Zhou is a cosy and intimate drinking den tucked just above Oriental Tea House where you can sip on a wide range of special cocktails, craft beer and spirits, whilst chowing down on some of the best dumplings and yum cha in town.
- Carwyn Cellars | Map | Our shop is just the beginning. Beyond the fridges you'll find our 28 tap craft pub and beer garden. Our tap list is a constantly rotating, vast and adventurous representation of the best local and international beer we can find. Our back bar holds 300+ whiskies, gins and more and we play favourites with our wine list daily. Whether you're after a lazy afternoon pint or a boozy adventure, we'll take care of you.
- The Woods of Windsor | Take a breath, take a seat and enjoy the venue that is The Woods of Windsor. With an extensive and ever-growing list of whiskies supported by a unique list of signature cocktails, choosing a drink is never an easy task.