Whisky* can be an expensive habit. Although it is hard to beat buying a full bottle of love* for yourself, and whisky clubs and bottle splits are a thing too, sometimes it's nice to venture out in search of destinations that professionally serve and supply our favourite juice. And if you're in or around Brisvegas this is your go-to guide to finding beautiful spots to try nice whisky!
Whether it's for the atmosphere, the killer cocktails (whisky or otherwise(!?!?)), the change of scenery or the access to drams not currently on pour at home, the following venues could be just what the doctor ordered - although likely NOT your hepatologist - remember, always drink responsibly.
This list is by no means exhaustive, or 100% accurate necessarily, but more of a handy resource to help us (and hopefully some of you) find a place to settle in for a nice relaxing pour of whisky. We will update this list and the information on each venue as and when more information becomes available. We would love to hear from any venues or people like you who patronise them about your experiences, good, bad or otherwise. Cheers!
*Whisky/Whiskey as appropriate / *Love also = Whisky/Whiskey
For any that we've missed, drop us a line at email@example.com and we'll get it added.
Brisbane - CBD
- Blackbird | Blackbird bar is inspired by the opulence of The Great Gatsby, the Roaring Twenties and the speakeasies of the Prohibition era. The expansive space, boasts 180 degree river views and luxurious decor which ignites the experience within.
- Brooklyn Standard | Map | Voted "Australia's Best Live Music Bar 2015". Liquor, live music, fine wine, cold beer, cocktails and great food. No booking required just come on down!
- Death & Taxes (Coming Soon)
- Grape Therapy & Drinking Den | Come to one of Brisbane’s finest wine bars and enjoy a bit of our kind of Therapy! Amidst the bottle-lined walls of our intimate underground establishment friends are made and business is done, all in the company of a good bottle or two.
- Malt Dining | Map | Malt Traders is a locally owned and operated purveyor of fine consumables. Our focus is on unique and sustainable, small parcel and craft beverages. We recognise that in the world of small business it is the grass roots relationships that enable us to succeed.
- Regatta Hotel | Map | Welcome to a world of whisk(e)y, come and imbibe! Our Whisk(e)y Bar is an intimate nook of worldly drops including an array of Japanese, American, Irish, Australian and Scottish whiskies.
- The Boom Boom Room | Map | An underground cocktail lounge where bank vaults once were. Enjoy chapters of interesting concoctions, impeccable service, luxe booths plus live jazz and mo-town sounds. Eclectic, premium and above all, fun.
- The Gresham | Map | The Gresham offers some of the highest calibre rum, whiskey and wine in the country, and the extensive and artistic cocktail list are only able to be crafted by the best bartenders in the industry.
Brisbane - Fortitude Valley
- Bowery | Map | Taking its name from the New York street where dimly lit dive bars are a dime a dozen, The Bowery channels the warm and eclectic style of its namesake. Hidden between the flashing lights of surrounding nightclubs in the Valley, The Bowery is a slice of downtown New York waiting to welcome you with a warm hug and a Mojito.
- Finney Isles | Map | Cocktails + Wine + Charcuterie, theses are a few of our favorite things. #NotAnIrishPub #BigBlueDoor
- Press Club | Located in the heart of Fortitude Valley, the Press Club oozes an understated warmth and classic character. Home to some of Australia’s most award-winning barmen; be prepared for some seriously impressive cocktail creations and an amazing night out.
- Saville Row | Map | The idea behind the bar is a simple one, Just cocktails and spirits. It’s not a whisky bar. It’s a bar, you can come and have a really good drink.
Brisbane Petrie Terrace
- Lefty's Old Time Music Hall | Map | Lefty’s Old Time Music Hall is like a lavish honky-tonk saloon meets bordello – conveniently relocated from the deep south of 19th century America to Caxton Street, Brisbane City!
- Byblos | Map | Byblos Bar and Restaurant combines imaginative Mediterranean cuisine with lavish hospitality, luxurious surroundings, and a world-class drink selection. The award-winning venue is located in Hamilton on the beautiful Brisbane River.
Brisbane Sunshine Cost
- Boston Shaker Bar | Map | Indulge all of your senses with quality, comfort and fun in a relaxed intimate atmosphere with friends. A time when men dressed as men in suits and ladies could get all dolled up in their favourite heels and feel glamorous.
- The Double Barrel Bar | Map | The Newest Whiskey - Cocktail - Tapas bar on the coast. Come in and enjoy our wide range of whiskeys from around the world in a relaxing environment whilst trying our delicious tapas to accompany them.
- Rick's Garage | Map | Rick's Garage is the only licenced mechanical workshop in Palmwoods, on the Sunshine Coast. With award winning burgers, chips & coffee - you can't go wrong!
Brisbane West End
- Cobbler Bar | Map | Cobbler boasts an astounding 400+ whiskeys from all over the world (Scotland, American, Canadian, Irish, Japanese and Australian varietals). Upon your visit to Cobbler, you can select from the extensive cocktail list (changed seasonally). We also have a variety of beers on tap and a large range of tequila. Cobbler is a beverages only, walk in venue where you can BYO food.
- Naked Whisky Bar | Map | The Naked Whiskey Bar, with over 300 whiskies, offers one of Brisbane most comprehensive ranges of whisky from all around the world. We are dedicated to constantly improving our range of products and offering customers not only a superior product but an experience that will delight the senses and hopefully leave you with a greater appreciation and understanding of the most delicious and yet complex of spirits.
- Three Wolves | Map | Hidden down a red brick laneway in the heart of the Cairns CBD, Three Wolves offers patrons a unique and premium small bar experience. Proudly supplying a speciality whiskey, spirit, cocktail, wine and beer selection to folks who enjoy exceptional beverages as much as we do! Our drinks are complimented by delectable eats that allow you to drink, eat and repeat.
- Etsu Izakaya | Map | Etsu Izakaya is modern Japanese izakaya style dining. Our dishes are designed to be shared and served steadily during the course of the evening. Order again and again, share with your friends or come by yourself and sit at our dining bar.
- Lockwood Bar | We here at Lockwood are a speakeasy style Cocktail bar that leans very heavily toward Malted Drams of all walks and life. We truly believe in quality products and fine drams and although our offering is 80% cocktails, single malt Whisky runs rapidly through our veins and our range is both approachable & unique with a few obscure and rare bottlings.
- The Cambus Wallace | An old-world nautical themed rum & whiskey bar
- Yamagen | Traditional Japanese cuisine alive in a playful Tokyo dream. Neon lights and statement style, Yamagen is where you’ll taste it. An izakaya dining experience made to share for a night of vibrant refined flavours. Smoking signature kushiyaki, sushi and delicate market-fresh sashimi.
- Whisky Boy | Map | The Whisky Boy environment is meant to be inclusive of all walks of life, regardless of your knowledge of whisky. We employee a staff that is happy to assist you pick a whisky, if it’s your first whisky ever, or just your first whisky with us, including whisky flights, and boilermakers. The bar also offers 20+ gins, and a full complement of other wines and alcohols to perfectly suit your evening.
- The Scottish Prince | Named after the Gold Coast whisky wreck of the same name, this restaurant and whisky bar pays homage to a bygone era.
- Old Bills @ Hogan's Wellington Point | Map | Named after the first publican of Wellington Point Hotel, Old Bill’s Bar represents a touch of class and sophistication in the Redlands. Boasting a wide range of single malt whiskies from around the world, with over 150 from Scotland alone.