Whisky* can be an expensive habit. Although it is hard to beat buying a full bottle of love** for yourself, and whisky clubs and bottle splits are a thing too, sometimes it's nice to venture out in search of destinations that professionally serve and supply our favourite juice.
Whether it's for the atmosphere, the killer cocktails (whisky or otherwise(!?!?)), the change of scenery or the access to drams not currently on pour at home, the following venues could be just what the doctor ordered - although likely NOT your hepatologist - remember, always drink responsibly.
This list is by no means exhaustive, or 100% accurate necessarily, but more of a handy resource to help us (and hopefully some of you) find a place to settle in for a nice relaxing pour of whisky. We will update this list and the information on each venue as and when more information becomes available. We would love to hear from any venues or people like you who patronise them about your experiences, good, bad or otherwise. Cheers!
*Whisky/Whiskey as appropriate / *Love also = Whisky/Whiskey
For any that we've missed, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get it added.
- Hippo Co. | Map | Located in the heart of Canberra - we love our whiskies, cocktails and good banter! Come in for a dram or some live jazz on Wednesdays.
- Hopscotch | Map | Sporting the largest range of whiskies (including scotches, blends, bourbons, Irish, French, Japanese and Australian) available in Canberra coupled with a wide selection of fine wines and craft beers on tap, you will be sure to find a delicious beverage to enjoy with anything from their imported wood-fired Argentine Grill
- Molly | The journey of finding Molly is half the fun and once you arrive you’ll be treated to Canberra’s most extensive selection of whisky, smooth live jazz plus so much more in an authentic 1920’s speakeasy setting
- The Bolt Hole | Map | Purveryors of good times & tasty cocktails, The Bolt Hole showcases over 300 whiskies & gin and serves craft cocktails, artisanal spirits, organic wines and craft beers from all over the world.
- Roadhouse | Map | A perfect weekend cafe which converts over to a small, but well stocked cocktail and whisky bar in the evenings.
- Babylon | Map | Hundreds of whiskies from all over the world for you to explore. Go on a journey of discovery from the island of Islay to rural Australia.
- Coal & Cedar | Map | You’ll need to be in on a few secrets to visit Coal & Cedar. This hidden speakeasy has no signage and no doorbell. Instead, you’ll need to text a special code to a number on the wall and a host will open the door and usher you inside. Rest assured, it’s worth the effort, having just won Best Regional bar in Australia 2016.
- Nagisa Japanese Restaurant | Map | A great selection of whisky, a number of whisky flights you can customise to your liking, masterclasses on Japanese whiskies over lunches with the manager, Yohei Namba can introduce you to some interesting Indian, Taiwanese and American whiskies.
- Bel & Brio | Map | Bar & Dining at Bel & Brio has a menu that takes inspiration from traditional Italian cooking styles to create dishes that are centred on fresh produce. The menu is designed for sharing and is complemented by an extensive wine list of over 800 wines. Start with a classic cocktail and enjoy a quick bite, a long lunch or dinner with family and friends.
- Meat & Wine Co. Barangaroo | Map | On the hunt for the best steakhouse in Sydney? At our Barangaroo restaurant location, you’ll find all the premium steaks and world-class dishes that have earned The Meat & Wine Co a reputation for being one of the best steak restaurants in Sydney.
- Nola Smokehouse & Bar | Open seven days a week, NOLA Smokehouse and Bar in Sydney's newest and most exciting precinct Barangaroo combines the warmth and hospitality for which the South is well known with a large American Whiskey Bar and French Quarter American whiskey lounge, and a Smokehouse restaurant space filling the 500sqm venue.
- Shirt Bar | Map | We take our booze very seriously. With a love of dark spirits we have a huge selection of Whiskies and are a proud Scotch Malt Whisky Society partner bar. Our cocktails are based on seasonal ingredients and on what flavours are coming out of our kitchen. And we like to keep it local with our beers and wines.
- Smoke Bar | Map | As the sun sets over Sydney there is no better place to be than at our rooftop bar Smoke. Exquisite design and unsurpassed harbour views are matched by classy cocktails and our moreish, creative bar menu.
- Alleyway Whisky Bar | Map | With quality, quick food, regularly changing whiskies, craft beer, selected wine and bespoke cocktails ALLEYWAY delivers the small bar experience to the Sydney CBD.
- Burrow Bar | Map | A hidden basement in the heart of Sydney, escape the bustle and unlock nostalgic sensations.
We aim to tantalise and remind you of simpler times. Whether you prefer a cocktail, craft beers, boutique spirits, or a glass of wine... every visit is a different experience.
- Door Knock | Map | We are a cocktail and wine bar hidden far below from the hustle and bustle of Sydney’s CBD. Our wines lean more on the biodynamic, minimal intervention and natural styles, while our dynamic cocktail list offers something for everybody.
- Duke of Clarence | Map | Hidden in the heart of the CBD, an 18th-Century inspired London Tavern dedicated to cocktails, cask ale & unmistakeably British eats.
- J&M | Map | An intimate whisky and cocktail bar hidden away upstairs at angel hotel.
- Kittyhawk | Map | A French restaurant and cocktail bar with amazing food and exceptional cocktails.
- Marble Bar | Map | Drink, dance and live the speakeasy lifestyle in this heritage-listed underground bar and music venue. Built in in the former Adams Hotel in 1893, the Victorian structure was painstakingly dismantled, transported and reassembled in Hilton Sydney 1973 – where the restored mahogany bar and marble archways still awe guests to this day.
- Palmer & Co. | Map | An underground prohibition-style bar, celebrating a time when booze was banned, yet free-flowing.
- Ramblin Rascal Tavern | Map | Ramblin' Rascal Tavern is the best Rockin, whisky/brandy, dive bar in the Country! A solid back bar adorned with over 300 delicious brown spirited bottles of the nectar of the Gods, mostly Brandy and over a century of whiskeys! The back bar is accompanied by brown leather booths, plush red carpet, and oak whilst banging out some dirty blues and Rock n Roll cranking through until the early hours of the morning(well as early as this state gov will let us). Enjoy.
- Restaurant Hubert | Hubert is a French restaurant located in the heart of downtown Sydney. We are open for lunch Thursday to Friday, and dinner through to late night supper Monday to Saturday.
- Rockpool Bar & Grill | Map | With an emphasis on excellent produce and a precise and attentive service style, the adjoining bar is the perfect spot for pre or post lunch and dinner drinks, or a more relaxed dining experience.
- Stitch Bar | Map | Hidden behind a faux seamstress and down a grand staircase is Stitch Bar, regularly named one of the best bars in Sydney. Stitch Bar is the perfect drinking den to enjoy a rare whiskey while trying a burger or hot dog. The cocktail bar with American diner style food will leave you salivating for more, while the drinks will keep your whistle whet.
- Swinging Cat | Map | Step away from the urban chaos and straight into this sleek cocktail bar to experience our version of New Orleans’ vibrant bar scene. The interiors are reminiscent of New Orleans’ French Quarter; from the gas-lit street lamps to the velvet-lined entry, you’ll be transported straight to the corner of Rue Royal and Conti.
- The Baxter Inn | Located in the basement of a building block in the middle of Sydney’s CBD, in an unmarked alleyway and down a fire escape you’ll find a bar full of people and character. And Whisky.
- The Captain's Balcony | Map | Located in the heart of Sydney’s CBD, The Captain’s Balcony is a chic and sleek venue. An ideal function venue, we run business meetings during the day, after work drinks in the evening, and parties and celebrations all week long!
- Uncle Ming's | Map | Uncle Ming’s is an opium den inspired cocktail, japanese whisky and dumpling bar - a celebration of Asia.
- Zeta Bar | Map | Zeta Bar offers an exclusive terrace escape in the heart of Sydney’s CBD, overlooking Queen Victoria Building. Sample award-winning cocktails crafted by Zeta mixologists and discover how we push the boundaries of Sydney’s cocktail culture. Reserve your table in the VIP lounge or unwind in a chic private booth.
- Grain | Map | Sydney spirits and cocktail bar, Grain by Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, is all about the fine craft of drinking. It’s a celebration of the passions, people and products that have come together to create Sydney’s local, in the heart of The Rocks.
- Meat & Wine Co. Circular Quay | Map | The Meat & Wine Co is intimate and sophisticated inside the heritage-listed hotel, where contemporary interior design paired with subtle African influences make the restaurant enticingly unique. Rustic wooden walls, original arched windows, luxurious leather seating, and stone features make this the ideal setting for business meetings and romantic dinners alike.
Darlinghurst / Potts Point
- Eau De Vie | Map | Eau-de-Vie Sydney is an intimate, dimly lit, jazz infused speakeasy created for the discerning bon vivant. Let our amicable host and expert team of bartenders, transport you back to a much forgotten era where great service, cocktails, tommy guns and good times were king.
- Shady Pines Saloon | Map | Super shady
- The Roosevelt | Map | Slip back in time to an era when drinking was taken seriously. Long lunches washed down with martinis, cocktail hours to finish the day and whiskies long in to the evening.
- Banchō | Banchō is a cocktail and whisky bar located in Sydney's Chinatown. We're proud to be one of the first small bars in Chinatown, with a focus on quality cocktails, world whiskies and delicious bar snacks. And we're excited to bring a quality drinking experience to Chinatown.
- The Blind Barrel | Map | The Blind Barrel is an American-inspired restaurant/bar that’s all about the fine craft of eating + drinking.
- Hemingway's Manly | Map | Hemingway's offers the best coffee, brunch and lunch during the day transforming into carefully curated restaurant and cocktail bar at night
- Lazy Bones Lounge Restaurant & Bar | Lazybones Lounge Restaurant & Bar features live music seven nights a week, with fantastic food and a wide range of beverages including an extensive range of whiskies & cocktails served by friendly helpful staff. There is a small cover charge that goes towards live music.
- Where's Nick | Where's Nick is a small bar at 236 Marrickville in Marrickville. We have many nice things.
- Cottonmouth Records | Map | Beer, Whisky, Vinyl
- Earls Juke Joint | Map | Nola inspired, hospitality focused, neighbourhood cocktail bar. Music that traces the evolution of black music, with a focus on the roots of hip hop.
- Webster's Bar | Map | With a selection of over 500 whiskies, the Bourbon bar & cocktail lounge, Webster's is an ideal place to sample rare and limited drams from across the globe.
- Anatta | Map | We’re just a group of neighbourhood guys that like eating, drinking, and having fun with our friends. Whether it’s our cocktails, our wine list or our food, we go to great lengths to source excellent examples from small, integral suppliers with a great hand for quality, and a fond eye on the environment.
- The Hayberry | Map | Burgers, Booze, Blues & Rock 'N' Roll
- Meat & Wine Co. Parramatta | Map | The Meat & Wine Co Parramatta. Situated in the tallest building in all of West Sydney, Meriton Suites Church St. We return to the area with a new venue, new look and the unique experience our foundation is built on.
- Nick & Nora's | Map | Nick & Nora’s is a cocktail and champagne bar that brings the golden era of glamourous and decadent post prohibition soirees to the modern day - sky high over Parramatta.
- BLACK Bar & Grill | Map | BLACK Bar & Grill perfectly marries a contemporary Australian grill with a stylish wine bar and million dollar views of Sydney Harbour and the city. Chef Dany Karam creates classically inspired menus influenced by the great American grills and contemporary European cuisine.
- Lumi | Map | Beneath a multitude of pendent lights creating an intimate atmosphere, LuMi Dining comes to life under the guidance of Chef Federico Zanellato and his wife and Sommelier, Michela.
- Sokyo | Map | A Japanese-inspired restaurant with a global flavour, Sokyo blends the best of Sydney and Tokyo.
- Archie Rose Distilling Co. | Precisely three metres from the distillery and flanked by a wall of ageing whisky casks, the bar showcases the full Archie Rose spirits range, including a number of unreleased products, while also offering an interesting selection of local craft beers, award-winning biodynamic wines and food by local producers. The bar is the perfect place to pull up a stool and settle in.
- Button Bar | Map | A subtle pirate themed cocktail bar hidden behind an unassuming wooden door, Button Bar is one of the locals favourite bars in Surry Hills.
- Keg & Brew | Map | With over 30 taps including 3 hand pumps pouring an extensive selection of craft beers, ciders and golden oldies and a great range of bourbons, we’ve got something for everyone.
- Mjolner | Map | Mjølner is a place where sophistication and opulence meets revelry and decadence. Mjølner is created in Thor’s image and delivers a unique dining experience, offering our guests escapism with the enjoyment of fine food and world class beverages.
- The Whisky Room | Map | Sit back and enjoy a dram of your favourite malt or let our bartenders guide you through our eclectic selection of over two hundred different expressions. With skillfully prepared cocktails, a range of all Australian gins, boutique wines, and a hand-picked beer list, The Whisky Room aims to accommodate every palate.
- The Wild Rover | The Wild Rover is your local Surry Hills neighbourhood bar. A swashbuckling, foot stomping, riotous escape from pomp, it’s designed as if it had always existed, but has only recently been found. An Irish folk barn crossed with New York chic set in an unassuming clothing house, hidden from street view.
- Toko | Map | Toko Sydney, located in the heart of Surry Hills, Sydney’s premier dining precinct, offers diners the chance to experience the informal style of Japanese “izakaya” dining. Combined with Australia’s world renowned fresh produce and complimented by stunning contemporary design, the Toko dining experience lasts long after diners have left the restaurant.
- Tokyo Bird | Tokyo Bird is a laneway small bar inspired by cocktail and whisky bars of Japan, as well as Tokyo's yakitori stalls and bustling izakaya. Opened in late 2014, Tokyo Bird specialises in Japanese whisky, Japanese-inspired house and classic cocktails, and yakitori charcoal-grilled chicken on skewers.
- The Doss House | The whiskies take centre stage at this unique basement bar, with the collection sitting at about 200. Australia, Scotland, Ireland, Japanese and America are all represented with the more premium bottles encased in bespoke oak cabinets throughout the venue.
- Hotel Palisade | Map | Step back in time as you enter the character filled Public House located at ground level of Hotel Palisade. If you listen closely you might still hear the jeers of the larrikins and ‘wharfies’ coming to drink after a day waiting for ships to dock or the cries of mothers calling in their little ones after a long day of riding billy carts and playing mock war games on the streets.